Types of DC Motors and their uses
TYPES OF DC MOTORS AND THEIR USES
The DC Motor or direct current motor has a lot of application in today’s field of Engineering and Technology.
- There are two Electrical elements of a DC motors the field windings and the armature Windings.
- The Armature windings are made up o current carrying conductors that terminate at a commutator.
- DC Voltage is applied to the armature windings through carbon brushes which ride on the commutator.
- Different functional types of DC motor are available in the market for specific requirements.
There are four Basic Types of DC Motor.
- PERMANENT MAGNET MOTOR.
- SERIES MOTOR.
- SHUNT MOTOR.
- COMPOUND MOTOR.
PERMANENT MAGNET MOTORS
- The permanent magnet motor uses a magnet t supply field flux permanent magnet DC motors have excellent starting torque capability with good speed regulation.
- A disadvantage of permanent magnet DC motors is they are limited to the amount of load they can drive.
- These motor can be found on low horse power applications.
- In a series DC motor the field is connected in series with the armature.
- The field is wound with a few turns of large wire because it must carry the full armature current.
- A characteristic of series motors is the motor develops a large amount of starting torque. However speed varies widely between no load and full load.
- Series motor cannot be used where a constant speed is required under varying loads.
- In a shunt modtor the field is connected in parallel (shunt) with the armature windings.
- The shunt connected motor offers good speed regulation.
- The field winding can be separately excited or connected to the same source as the armature.
- Compound motor have a field connected in series with the armature and a separately excited shunt field.
- The series field provides better starting torque and the shunt field provides better speed regulation.
Compound Motors are further divided as Two Types
- Short shunt compound Motor: This motor field winding is connected in parallel with only the armature winding.
- Long shunt compound Motor.: This Motor field winding is connected parallel with the combination of series field winding and armature winding.