Types of Switches and Their uses.
Types of Switches and Their uses.
- Every Electrical and electronic application uses at least one switch to perform ON and OFF operation of the device.
- So, the Switches are the port of a control system and without it, control operation cannot be achieved.
- A switch can perform two functions, normally fully ON by closing its contacts or fully OFF by opening it contacts.
- When the contacts of a switch are closed, the switch creates the closed path for current flow and hence load consumes the power from source.
Latch Switch.The latch switch hold its state whether ON or OFF until the new commands initiated this switch.
Momentary Switch.Momentary Switch hold the state only the specific command is presented only.Latch switch and Momentary Switch are eight types.TYPES OF SWITCHES
- PUSH BUTTON SWITCH.
- LIMIT SWITCH.
- PRESSURE SWITCH.
- FLOAT SWITCH.
- TEMPERATURE SWITCH.
- TOGGLE SWITCH.
- ROTARY SWITCH.
- JOYSTICK SWITCH.hen the contacts of a switch are open, no power will be consumed by the load.
MECHANICAL SWITCHMechanical switches require physical or Manual contact with for operation.
ELECTRICAL SWITCHElectrical switches not require physical or manual contact, has ability to perform operation. Electrical switches operate under the action of Semi-conductors.
TYPES OF MECHANICAL SWITCHESMechanical Switches further classify in to different types of switches base on number of poles and throws.
- Single pole single throw,(SPST).
- Single pole Double throw,(SPDT).
- Double pole single throw,(DPST).
- Double pole Double throw,(DPDT).
- Intermediate Switch.
SINGLE POLE SINGLE THROUGH
The SPST is a basic ON or OFF switch ,that is used to connect or break the connection between two terminals, This types of switch has one input and one output.
DOUBLE POLE DOUBLE THROUGH
The SPDT switch is a three terminal switch, one terminal is used as input and remaining two terminals are used as outputs.
SINGLE POLE DOUBLE THROUGH
The application of SPDT switch is mainly involved in a three way circuit to turn ON or OFF a light from two location like from top and bottom for a stairway.
DOUBLE POLE SINGLE THROUGH
The DPST switch consists of two poles that means it includes two identical switches located on side by side.
An Intermediate switch is where three points control the same circuit. this is very versatile switch and can be used fro most lighting situation, but in reality it is more expensive, So you would normally use it when needs.
That is when you have three switches controlling on light, then the middle on needs to be an intermediate.
PUSH BUTTON SWITCH
A push button switch to make switch allows electricity to flow between it s two contact when held in.
When the button is released, the circuit is broken, This type of switch is also known as a normally open switch.
- Limit switch are used for controlling machinery as part of a control system, as a safety interlock, or to count objects passing a point.
- A limit switch is an electro-mechanical device that consists of an actuator mechanically linked to a set of contacts.
- When an object comes into contact with the actuator, the device operates the contacts to make or break an electrical connection.
- This type of switch consists of C-shape diaphragm. According to pressure, this diaphragm is indicating pressure.
- These Switches are used to sense pressure of air,water, oil,in industrial application.
- This switch operates when pressure of system is increase or decrease from set point.
- A float switch is a type of level sensor, a device used to detect the level of liquid with in a tank.
- The switch may be used to control a pump ,as an indicator, an alarm,or control other devices.
- This type of switches consists of temperature sensing devices like RTD and Thermostat.
- This switch operate according to the value of measured temperature.
This types of switch is commonly used in household application to ON and OFF electrical appliances.